Monday, May 7, 2018

a little bit rusty

It seems that most often when I am cleaning up my creative space, I generate ideas that scream to be worked. I have yet to understand if it's simply a diversion from the task of cleaning, or rather a flurry of thoughts generated from "seeing" so many beautiful supplies.  Regardless, this was the case last night, and it led to the creation of this tag.
I really and truly love working with the new Tim Holtz collage papers. They are thin enough to tear easily along a wet line, yet strong enough to stand out against a layer of watered down gesso. They're perfect for mixed media layering. The floral paper has such beautiful, finely detailed flowers. I used the cream colored roses section on my tag. I wanted the roses to "climb" the full height of the tag, so it took two sections of the roses layered to make it appear as one continuous piece. The best way to create the seamless edge is to use a water brush (or fine paintbrush with water) draw a line along where you want the edge, then pull the two sides apart and allow the wet edges to dry. 
[the following pictures show the technique using a different section of the collage paper]

Using a heavystock tag,  I coated the right side of the tag with distress collage medium and adhered the section of collage paper, then added a top layer of collage medium. Once that was dry, I applied texture paste through the Tim Holtz/Stampers Anonymous mini brick stencil (Set 3), using a palette knife. I only added the paste through sections of the stencil along the left side of my tag, varying the edge that extended towards the middle. Once that section was somewhat dry, I moved the stencil down the tag and completed the brick pattern to the bottom. I set the tag aside to dry completely.
[the following pictures show the technique but with a different tag and larger scale stencil]
While the texture paste was drying, I created some "rusty" Ideaology heirloom roses. Using a paint brush, I first coated each rose with a layer of Finnabair brown rust paste. Then, I highlighted some areas of the roses with the rust colored paste, and next I added small spots of the gold paste. Once this was dry, I went back in with the brown and rust colored pastes to create the appearance I was looking for. I set these aside to dry. 
I created a "rusty" Ideaology trinket pin by coating the pin with embossing ink and sprinkling with Chunky Rust Baked Texture by Seth Apter/Emerald Creek. I heat set the powder and then added another layer of the powder and re-heated some areas. Once the metal had cooled, I painted small areas of the pin with brown rust paste. This was set aside to dry.
Using Distress Ink in fired brick and vintage photo, I lightly colored the "brick" portion of the tag. I was trying to create a neutral appearance, so I added each color in a very light layer with a blending foam, starting with fired brick and alternating with the vintage photo until I achieved the color I was hoping for. I also blended a little of the color over the brighter, open areas of the collage paper. The entire tag was inked around the edge with walnut stain Distress Ink. 
 
I wanted the rusty flowers to appear as f they were integral to the roses from the collage paper, so I adhered them in locations to look as if they were flowering from a stem. To complete the tag, I added an Ideaology quote token in the upper left portion of brick, and wrapped the center of the tag with beige seam binding ribbon from my stash. The "rusty" trinket pin was stuck through the knot and a fussy cut stamped bee (Tim Holtz/Stampers Anonymous CMS328 Entomology) was attached to the pin with glossy accents. 
When I posted a picture of the top portion of this tag, I was asked by some followers if I would be doing a tutorial. This tag was created in the moment; I have done my best to recreate some of the steps, but I apologize for missing many "in-progress" photos. I hope that what I have put together is helpful to those that made the request.
 Thank you so much for stopping by the blog.
 I hope that you are inspired to create something beautiful.
~Ann 

Challenges I am entering this in:
Frilly and Funkie: Neutral Point of View
Mixed Media Monthly Challenge #48: Rust


34 comments:

Craft Addicts - Tracy Evans said...

Gorgeous, love how you incorporated the brick wall, which looks so authentic. Tracy ❤️

Freddie Bubblescrap Sleijpen said...

This is one of the most beautiful tags I have ever seen. You are such an inspiration my dear friend. Thank you for sharing your talent with us xoxox

Juli Riedel said...

Awesome tutorial girlie! Definitely going to give it a go!

ann barnes said...

Thanks so much for taking the time to stop by, and for very kind comment, Tracy. There is just something about the brick and stone textures that I always want their appearance to be "authentic", so this was a compliment in the highest regard. Thank you xx

ann barnes said...

Oh Freddie, how nice of you to say this, I admire your work so much, so it means the world to me. Thank you my friend. xx

ann barnes said...

Oh I do hope you do Juli! Thanks so much for taking the time to check out my blog, I really appreciate it, and as always, Thank you so very much for your kind words, they truly mean a lot to me. xx

Barb Turpin said...

This is beautiful, I love how the brick wraps around the flowers and leaves! Thanks for sharing the technique!

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

LOVE this tag!!! I too love the collage papers, especially the roses, and feel your pain for the need to keep creating! LOVE the how you colored the bricks...I haven't tried that stuff yet. Just a super gorgeous, elegant, yet grungy tag!!!

Freddie Bubblescrap Sleijpen said...

Right back atcha my lovely xoxox

sarascloset said...

Oh, YES! I have been waiting for your Neutral Point of View, my friend, and you did NOT disappoint! Wow! An incredible vintage tag! Your brickwork is exceptional and pairs so well with those roses! Who wouldn't love a walk through this magical rose garden? Ann, as much as I adore EVERYTHING you make, this has got to be my hands down FAVORITE! I can almost smell the perfume of those roses! Hot diggity! Thank you for wowing us at Frilly and Funkie! Hugs!

sarascloset said...

PS This was pinned to MY ABSOLUTE FAVORITES!

ann barnes said...

You are very welcome Barb, thanks for stopping by and looking! I hope that you can try the technique, its fairly simple and creates a beautiful finished product.

ann barnes said...

Thank you so much Anita, that means so much to me! Yes, and many times, I really think the best results come from the "in the moment" makes...oh if there were all the time in the world...lol. So happy the you stopped by, hugs.

ann barnes said...

WOW, thank you so very much Sara Emily! I am thrilled that you like it, my favorite projects happen when an idea takes flight, so to speak! I love this collage paper, the roses, in all their glory, speak to me. Thank you so much for stopping by and checking out my post, hope your day is fabulous! xx

Kathy/NorthCarolina said...

Wow, wow, wow! I super love this gorgeous, textured tag! All the elements pull together to tell a story, and I love the theme! Thanks for joining the fun at Frilly and Funkie's "Neutral Point of View" Challenge!

Jackie PN said...

Dear Ann,
You absolutely nailed the tutorial, with or without tons of photos!
How gorgeous your tag is!
I just love the way you added those rusty roses and the brick with the rose paper...well, I just LOVE everything about your tag, totally gorgeous! Did I say that already? heehe

Thank you so much for sharing your time and talent with us!
sending hugs,Jackie xx

Unknown said...

What a great idea. I do like the sweet little bee. What an inspiring creation, thank you for sharing.

Astrid Maclean said...

This is stunning Ann, and trust me the tutorial is great and very easy to follow! There are so many wonderful elements to this tag, I just love the contrast between the delicate flower part and the wall. Oh and the rusty roses look fantastic! That fussycut bee is just the perfect finishing touch! A fantastic tag and ofcourse thanks so much for adding it to our Rusty challenge at MMM!

Words and Pictures said...

What a perfect red brick wall - it looks completely real. Gorgeous tag!
Alison x

ann barnes said...

I really appreciate your kind words, and am so glad you like the tag. Thank you for taking the time to stop by Alison. ~Ann x

ann barnes said...

Thank you so much Astrid, I was hoping to find time to create something for MMM and when this was done, I thought the "rusty" roses and pin would fit in just right! Your lovely words mean so much to me, I am a huge fan of contrast, one of my favorite ways to balance. Thanks again for taking time. ~Ann xx

ann barnes said...

Thanks so much Deborah! I really appreciate you checking out the post! ~Ann

ann barnes said...

Kathy, thank you so very much for stopping by, and of course, for your wonderful comments, I truly appreciate it! ~Ann

ann barnes said...

my dear friend Jackie, thank you very much for stopping by, always a bright spot to read your special comments! You are super sweet, and to have you take time to leave a comment means so much to me, hope you are having a great day! Hugs to you ~Ann

Jenny Marples said...

Ann this is absolutely beautiful! Love the addition of the little bee and rusted roses over that brick and climbing rose background. So clever. Thank you so much for joining us at Frilly and Funkie xx

ann barnes said...

Thanks Jenny, that means so much to me. I am really glad you like it! hugs ~Ann xx

Art By Wanda said...

Gorgeous tag!!!!!!!!!!

ann barnes said...

Thank you so much Wanda!

sarascloset said...

Yippeeee!!!! I'm back to say congratulations on being the gift certificate winner at Frilly and Funkie! You are so deserving of this gift, because your work is always BEAUTIFUL and so creative! This one was a favorite for me, as you know! Hugs!

ann barnes said...

Oh my goodness, I was beyond thrilled, I LOVE the Funkie Junkie Boutique, so I am absolutely sure it will be put to fabulous use, adding to my crafty supplies. Thanks so much for your wonderful comments Sara Emily, they mean the world to me! xx

Diana said...

absolutely wonderful creation!!!! thanks for playing along with us at Mixed Media Monthly challenge!

ann barnes said...

Thank you so much Diana! Loved the rust challenge. Hugs ~Ann xx

sarascloset said...

Whoa, Ann! I want to be drinking what you're drinking, because you are doing a fabulous job with the challenge wins this month! Congratulations on your win at Mixed Media Monthly! Yippee, more goodies! Hugs!

ann barnes said...

Thanks so much my friend, super excited to be so fortunate, definitely need to replenish my supplies. hugs to you ~Ann xx